Thursday, January 10, 2019

Thursday

Big Ideas: Who or what is in control?

Reading: 
 Newsela tracking form for recording the articles you have read.


Agenda:

  1. Practice using the skills we learned yesterday and add three more vocabulary words to your portfolio.
  2. We will begin bringing our website portfolio up-to-date for the first semester.
    1. First, we will add the rest of the Capacities of a Literate Individual.
    2. Second, we will look for evidence for each capacity in the work we have done over the semester.
  3. Work on your Newsela challenge
    1. Read at least 10 articles ALL the way through. Read to learn something new.
    2. Read at least one article from 5 different categories (Kids doesn't count as a category).
    3. Write a rhetorical precis for two of the articles. Look back at English Journal #9 for help on writing a rhetorical precis. We wrote one together.
  4. Take the quiz and pass with at least a 3/4 for two of the articles.
  5. Create a flipgrid video that explains what the article is about and your thoughts about the topic. Use some of the sentences below to help you create a script for your video.
    1. The article "???" was about...In the article it described...The purpose of the article was to...The article made me think about...I wonder...One question I have for the author is...Overall, I though...

Success Criteria:

  1. I can identify my biggest worry about the semester. I have strategies for dealing with it.
  2. I have a plan for how to talk to my classmates.
  3. I can read nonfiction articles on a variety of topics.
  4. I can summarize what I read using the rhetorical precis model.
  5. I can demonstrate that I understand what I read by passing a reading comprehension quiz.
  6. I can show I understand what I read by creating a video on Flipgrid.
  7. I can create a portfolio that demonstrates what I have learned this semester.

Homework:

  1. Find a new book to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment